We get a lot of questions about us and the industry. By nature, dealing with laws can be confusing and we’ve compiled a list of some of the more commonly asked questions we get on the phone. If you don’t see a question you have listed here, don’t hesitate to contact us.

What services do you offer?

We take care of everything, from helping you organize your business and tax structure to getting your operating authority and navigating all the red tape that comes with starting your own business. Our main services include:

Our mission is to make starting your new business as easy as possible. If you have any questions or want to know more about what we do, call us! We’re happy to help.

Does it cost money to get a consultation?

Nope! Give us a call, and we can walk you through everything we offer and build a no-obligation, custom plan to start your business. We work hard to be completely transparent and we’re happy to answer any questions you have about starting your own trucking company before you’ve even paid us a dime.

How much do your services cost?

That all depends on what you need. Something unique about us is that we tailor our services to you making sure you get what you need and make sure you aren’t paying for anything you don’t. We’ll even let you know how much goes to us, and how much goes to any registration fees or taxes, so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of your buck.

Do you offer any packages?

Yes! We offer a new motor carrier authority package, designed to help you get your motor carrier authority. However, because of the unique nature of our business, we actually recommend giving us a call first to help determine what you actually need. We understand that every company is different, so we don’t want to recommend something that costs you money that you don’t need to spend.

Do you offer trucking insurance?

While we are not an insurance company, we do help you find the right insurance plan through a variety of insurance companies that we trust. When getting proper trucking insurance, we know how important it is to find a commercial insurance provider.

If you have questions about getting truck insurance for your business, call us.

What should I expect when working with Progressive Reporting?

We are a unique operating authority company, because we do more than just get your DOT and MC numbers. We create a custom plan designed for your company to get everything you need, and nothing you don’t.

There are a lot of companies out there who only get your operating authority, but we work hard to provide it all and make it as easy as possible. We’re completely transparent and walk you through everything, plus we take the next steps to make sure you keep your company on the road.

I’ve already started my own company. Why would I need your services?

We can take care of everything to keep your company on the road. If your company has already gone through a new entrant safety audit, we can help you update a conditional or unsatisfactory safety rating. If you need help managing payroll, taxes, or other day-to-day management, we help with that too!

I don’t need my MC number, but I want to get it anyway. What do you recommend?

We understand that there may be some instances where you need your MC number even if it’s not required by the FMCSA. We’re still happy to help you get it, and we’ll walk you through the entire process, just like we would for any of our other clients. Know that when you work with us, we won’t pressure you into getting something you don’t need.

What do I need to start my own trucking company?

There are a lot of pieces you need to sort through to get your operating authority. In general, you’ll most likely need:

You can read more about what it costs to start a trucking company that can give you a general idea of what you need to get started.

Help! I just got a DOT inspection violation! What can I do to be compliant?

Give us a call! We’ll go over all the paperwork for you to determine what your company isn’t compliant with and take the necessary steps to prevent future violations from missing certain paperwork or registrations.

IRP? MC Number? DOT Number? What do all these acronyms mean?

The trucking industry is notorious for having a lot of confusing terms and regulations that you are expected to follow. We’ve compiled a list of the more common terms that you’re likely to see and what they mean in our glossary.

Do I need an MC number?

As a general rule, you need an MC number if:

  • You’re operating for hire
  • Transporting passengers or arranging transport across state lines
  • Transporting federally regulated goods through more than one state

We can help you determine whether or not you need your MC number, also called operating authority. Just give us a call to get started.

Do I need a DOT number?

You need a DOT number if you are operating with:

  • Vehicles over 10,000 lbs
  • Transporting between 9-15 passengers and are being paid to do so
  • Transporting more than 16 passengers
  • Hauling hazardous materials

There may be some exceptions where you don’t need it to run your business. However, other states require you to have a DOT number if you’re planning on getting your operating authority even if you otherwise don’t meet the requirements. Contact us, and we can help you determine if you actually need it for your business.

How do I get my DOT and MC numbers?

The FMCSA requires you to fill out specific paperwork and pay a $300 fee to get your operating authority. When you give Progressive Reporting a call, we’ll walk you through the entire process and make sure the paperwork is filled out properly the first time.

What is the biennial update?

The biennial update is a requirement set by the FMCSA to renew your business’ information every two years. Learn more about when you need to file for your biennial update.

What is IFTA?

IFTA is the International Fuel Tax Agreement. IFTA takes into account the amount of fuel purchased in a variety of states and adjusts the cost to balance how much you actually paid as compared to what you owe. IFTA requires tax reports to be submitted every quarter. IFTA reports are something we can help with too.

Who needs an IFTA sticker?

If you are a motor carrier operating in two or more areas defined by IFTA. Your vehicle needs to be registered under IFTA If your vehicle:

  • Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds
  • Has three or more axles
  • Is used in combination with a weight that combined exceeds 26,000 pounds of a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight

There are a lot of other rules that come with IFTA. The coaches at Progressive Reporting can help you get registered and stay up-to-date with any IFTA regulations.

How do I register under IFTA?

If you’re in Utah, we can help you take care of the registration process and help you with your quarterly fuel tax reports. Just give us a call to get started. Outside of Utah, the process is typically done when registering under the IRP to get an apportioned license plate.

What is the new entrant safety audit?

The new entrant safety audit is a requirement set by the FMCSA for all new motor carrier entities to make sure they are staying compliant with all necessary regulations.

If you want to learn more about other terms often used in the trucking industry, check out our glossary.

How do I prepare for the new entrant safety audit?

We can help! We offer a DIY or full assistance package that outlines everything you need to prepare for the new entrant safety audit. We’ll coach you through everything so you can be completely ready.

What happens if I fail a DOT audit?

If you fail a DOT audit, your company will be put out-of-service unless your company creates a corrective action plan that outlines what your company will do in order to stay compliant with all of the safety requirements set by the FMCSA.

I got a conditional safety rating. How do I get an upgrade?

If you are unhappy with your results after a new entrant safety audit, give us a call. We can help you create a corrective action plan that fulfills the requirements set by the FMCSA.

How do I check my CSA score?

You can check your CSA score online. We’ve created a video tutorial that outlines what a CSA score is and how you can find yours.

Have Questions That Aren’t Answered Here?

If you have any questions about starting your own trucking company, don’t hesitate to call! We are happy to answer any questions and provide a free no-obligation consultation over the phone to help you learn how to start your own trucking company.

Download Our Free Guide

with over 40 years of experience in the industry, we’ve put together this free guide for you. download it to learn more

Very professional and trustworthy company. They have helped our business since the very beginning, getting our permits and authority and staying compliant. Ariel and Mercedes also helped us prepare for audits and even helped getting us back into satisfactory status. Overall a great experience.

- Jessica Leon

Brandon was excellent in his knowledge and explanation of what would be required for my needs. I highly recommend using Progressive for all of your DOT compliance needs.

- Cory Clement

I absolutely love the people I work with in Midvale! They have been extremely helpful and pleasant and never make you feel stupid for all the many questions that come up from starting a new trucking company. They are all knowledgeable and lead you through the steps to keep you compliant with all the DOT, IRS and IFTA regulations. Thanks Tyler, Jaclyn, Liz, Tina and Haley!

- Ruth Christensen

My life is simpler because of Progressive Reporting Agency. They are experts at what they do so I don’t have to be.  Their entire organization is efficient, professional and a joy to work with.  I can’t imagine trying to run my business without them.

- Tyler P. – Vernal, UT

Working with Progressive for over the last 10 years has been great for our business. We are able to call and get a live person who is an expert in the area where we need assistance. That has helped us make good business decisions. The service is prompt and they are usually able to get complicated things handled quickly.

- Kathy – Las Vegas, NV

We want to say thank you for all the help you have given us over the last 8 years. You have helped us with our licensing, registration and permitting, which are complicated tasks we don’t have the time to dedicate to. Taking those tasks off our plate has allowed us to focus on growth, which is one of the reasons we have been able to grow from 1 truck to over 50 in less than 8 years.

- Corey W. – North Salt Lake, UT

We had an issue with our US DOT number that we tried to fix ourselves. After weeks of frustration and getting nowhere, we made one call to Progressive Reporting and the problem was solved within 2 hours. Now we have Progressive Reporting’s contact info in all of our trucks.

- John M. – Essex, CT

Motor Carrier HQ Logo

Progressive Reporting is now Motor Carrier HQ! Get the same great service keeping you on the road.

Go To Motor Carrier HQ