December 28, 2018

Commercial Driver’s License – CDL

A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) allows someone to operate certain commercial motor vehicles, depending on the CDL Classification. There are three main types of CDLs:

  • Class A – Able to operate any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more to include a towed vehicle heavier than 10,000 lbs. Class A vehicles include tractor-trailers, truck and trailer combinations, and flatbeds.
  • Class B – Able to operate a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or heavier and/or any vehicle that is towing another vehicle up to 10,000 lbs. Some examples of Class B vehicles are straight trucks and large buses.
  • Class C – Able to operate a vehicle that does not meet the criteria of either a Class A or Class B license and is meant to transport at least 16 passengers or HAZMAT with the proper endorsements. Class C vehicles are usually small HAZMAT vehicles or passenger vans or buses.

Comments are closed.

Motor Carrier HQ Logo

Progressive Reporting is now Motor Carrier HQ! Get the same great service keeping you on the road.

Go To Motor Carrier HQ